The Procedure for Divorce
- The divorce petition is filed and given from one partner to the next.
- The respondent, the receiving partner, is given 30 days to respond to the divorce petition.
- One partner can ask for a court hearing where the judge could form temporary custody or financial support for the spouse. Having a lawyer can help you navigate through this system.
- Both partners are to exchange vital documents that fall in relation to the divorce.
- Both partners can sit with each other and their lawyers to settle. An agreement should be signed which would contain all the terms already reached.
- If one of the partners has a problem with any of the terms raised in the agreement, a court hearing can take place.
- When the hearing and trial have been concluded, a judgment of dissolution of marriage will be provided containing the court order.
The Procedure for Legal Separation
- The legal ground of your separation should be decided upon. If it is as a result of serious sanity issues or clashing differences.
- A petition should be filed that contains options for divorce and separation.
- The form should be filed at the court in your county. Give the necessary information about your property and children.
- There is another form you should file which states you have minor children.
- Pay the fee for filing the case. You should be informed about that by your lawyer.
A copy of the papers should be given to your partner either by mail or by hand.
Legal separation documents would contain all the issues that will be in a divorce document. This document covers each person’s interest and also comes in handy if you want a divorce. If both partners do not agree with the agreement signed during separation, a new one can be drawn up if they are both vying for a divorce.
Farbod Majd Esq.
Divorce Attorney w/ offices in Beverly Hills/Los Angeles
Services in English, Turkish, and Farsi/Persian (Iranian/American Lawyer)
8383 Wilshire Blvd Suite 646, Beverly Hills, CA 90211
310.956.4600 | Fax: 310.878.8989 | [email protected]