310.956.4600 [email protected]

Establishing parentage becomes important when the two parents are not married when the child is born. Having proof that a man is the biological father of the child does not give him any legal rights or responsibilities to the child. A parentage judgment won’t settle any child custody or support orders as it is just a judgment that names the child’s parents are.

Establishing parentage provides many benefits for both the parents and children involved

If a child is still a minor, having an established parentage allows the parent to request a child custody or visitation order and a child support order. A child has legal rights to have financial support from both of their parents, which can only occur when parentage has already been established. Legal parentage will also allow for a parent to have the child covered under their health insurance, allow for family medical records to be accessed, and it will let both parents’ names be on the child’s birth certificate.

Even if the child is already an adult, established parentage can still be very important. Legal parentage will allow for a child to claim inheritance or to claim social security or life insurance benefits. However, the child does not get to begin the parentage proceedings; instead, the mother, father, or Department of Child Support Services, or DCSS, must begin the process.

How Do I Establish Parentage?

The easiest way to have parentage established is to have the father sign a voluntary Declaration of Paternity sometime around when the child is born and having it filed with the Department of Child Support Services Paternity Opportunity Program. After having signed and correctly filing out this form, the same effect as going to court and legally having the parentage established will take place. This will allow both parents to sign the child’s birth certificate once they are born.

Another option is to go through your local child support agency. If you decide to choose this option, the DCSS will file a case for both parentage and child support and may potentially order genetic testing if it is found necessary to do so. The DCSS attorneys can provide you with information on your case, but they will not represent either the parent or the child. Because of this, it may be best to find a Beverly Hills parentage lawyer to work with you on your behalf.

If you don’t want to have another attorney involved, you can also go to court yourself and file your own parentage case. Keep in mind that this is a very complex process that comes with detailed instructions you can’t find online. Talk with a Beverly Hills parentage attorney if you want to file the case yourself.

Filing for establishing parentage yourself means that you must get the paperwork from the court, completely and accurately fill it out, serve the other parent, and file forms with the court properly. Remember that the legal system is complex and a small mistake can result in your case becoming invalid.

Farbod Majd & Associates Are Here to Help

The family lawyers at Farbod Majd & Associates are here to ensure that you can establish parentage. For both yourself and your child, it is up to you to fight for the rights that come with having parentage established. Contact Farbod Majd & Associates to schedule a free consultation to see if we are the best fit for you and to cover the specifics of your case.

Farbod Majd Esq.
Divorce Attorney w/ offices in Beverly Hills/Los Angeles
Services in English, Turkish, and Farsi/Persian (Iranian/American Lawyer)

8383 Wilshire Blvd Suite 646, Beverly Hills, CA 90211

310.956.4600 | Fax: 310.878.8989 | [email protected]